Draper is an independent, nonprofit research and development company headquartered in Cambridge, MA. The 1,600 employees of Draper tackle important national challenges with a promise of delivering successful and usable solutions. From military defense and space exploration to biomedical engineering, lives often depend on the solutions we provide. Our multidisciplinary teams of engineers and scientists work in a collaborative environment that inspires the cross-fertilization of ideas necessary for true innovation. For more information about Draper, visit www.draper.com.
Our work is very important to us, but so is our life outside of work. Draper supports many programs to improve work-life balance including workplace flexibility, employee clubs ranging from photography to yoga, health and finance workshops, off site social events and discounts to local museums and cultural activities. If this specific job opportunity and the chance to work at a nationally renowned R&D innovation company appeals to you, apply now www.draper.com/careers.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Draper is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. We understand the value of diversity and its impact on a high-performance culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
Draper is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This PM1 position will be responsible for conceiving, creating, capturing and executing highly innovative development programs for human organ system (organs-on-a-chip). This position requires the rare combination of outstanding technical talent (both broad and deep) along with exceptional interpersonal and organizational insight in order to spot emerging customer challenges; relate Draper capabilities to address these challenges; and develop, capture and run relevant programs.
· Demonstrates strong leadership skills in both business development and program execution for a program of significant complexity
· Ability to lead technical execution teams
· Contributes to the development of our strategic plans
· Regularly interacts with customers and maintains a large network of internal relationships and grows external relationships
· Able to identify, explore and qualify new business opportunities
· Ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels including customers, superiors, peers and subordinates in a manner than helps achieve or business goals and inspires trust and confidence at all levels
· Works to develop broader personal external footprint and raise Draper’s profile
Management and Business Development Skills:
· Demonstrated depth of knowledge in relevant technical discipline coupled with a strong ability to work at the system level
· Demonstrated ability to develop follow-on business writing winning proposals: and plan & execute complex but moderate risk programs
· Appropriately balances innovation and Draper’s best practices resulting in winning proposals and highly successful programs
· Ability to manage medium to large, but typically moderate-risk, programs
· Ability to manage several programs concurrently with a total annual program value of >$5M
· Understands sponsor needs and is able to synthesize solutions to their problems
· Demonstrated ability to consultatively engage with customers
· Ability to clearly and concisely communicate complex ideas and program statues
· Performs work with minimal supervision
· Good marketplace domain knowledge including knowledge of customer issues and market opportunities
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Required Education: A technical or scientific bachelor’s degree, ideally in biology or biomedical engineering, is required. Advanced degree preferred (M.S. MBA, PhD, MD, MPH)
The candidate should have a minimum of 10 years or more collective experience in at least three (3) of the five (5) categories listed below;
3 years or more experience in managing multidisciplinary technology development teams in tissue culture experimentation 3 years or more experience with business development around engineering or R&D services.
Required Skills: Demonstrated program management, leadership and new business development skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal and listening skills. Must be self-motivated, able to take initiative and work independently with a high level of productivity. Able to research, understand, assess, and critique multiple technologies and associated technological solutions.
Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification is preferred