We’re looking for candidates to join our amazing and ever-growing team in Reston, VA! We work on exciting, diverse, cutting-edge projects across AI, Data Science, and Machine Learning R&D. We work on exciting, diverse, cutting-edge projects in a wide range of fields including data-intelligence, finance, medicine, genomics, speech, and other signals. We develop tools spanning data science, big data, and machine learning domains for government and commercial customers. Our projects range from basic research to deployed systems, for commercial customers to government entities working on the most pressing national security problems of our time.
You will support internally funded R&D, as well as customer funded efforts that enable you to innovate and execute in a supportive and fast paced environment. Areas of work include; machine learning for a variety of applications, data analytics, predictive and computational modeling of complex systems, and rapid prototyping (coding) of completely novel tools. The ideal candidate is a self-starter, engaging colleagues and building ideas in a team-centered environment.
Draper is seeking a senior mechanical engineer focused on electromechanical system design. Specific responsibilities include:
- Perform mechanical design and development for ruggedized miniature electromechanical systems including first-of-a-kind systems, robotic and autonomous systems, and systems for harsh environments (e.g high-g, high temperature, high vibration)
- Develop solutions to complex, customer-driven problems with limited direction - drive ideation activities for initial system conceptualization, develop system requirements, propose ways forward when customer requirement are unclear or incomplete, and build and test prototype hardware
- Communicate effectively and openly with a multi-disciplinary program team members and program leadership, senior management, and sponsors
- Lead teams of 3 or more people to accomplish program goals, developing time/budgetary estimates, and mentoring junior engineers
- Strong organization, planning and time management skills to achieve program goals
This position will either be located at the Draper field site office at NASA’s Johnson Space Center (JSC) near Houston, TX or at Draper’s main office in Cambridge, MA. The applicant will join a team of highly motivated Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) Engineers in the design, development, test, implementation and operation of spacecraft GNC systems for Earth, Moon, and Mars Missions. We seek applicants who will fit well in this dynamic team, can serve as subject matter experts for a variety of GNC disciplines, while designing challenging GNC systems and developing GNC technologies crucial to Human Exploration missions with our JSC Customer - as well as with customers who value a presence at JSC.
The applicant will be technically involved in various stages in the life cycle of the project including:
- Mission design & architecture trades
- System design & requirement analyses
- GNC algorithms and software development
- GNC system integration & test
Our group of software engineers is looking for an additional team member to join us in delivering solutions to challenging problems. We work on exciting, diverse, cutting edge projects that span from self-driving cars and unmanned vehicles to medical applications and fielded systems for battlefield situational awareness. Applicants will work multiple projects, designing, developing and testing code in an Agile environment as part of a team.
This position is for an Engineer with 3-4 years of engineering experience in engineering analysis, simulation and modeling. This opening seeks an enthusiastic engineer with the desire to learn GN&C analysis theory and concepts, turn them into simulations that form the requirements and design of high performing GN&C systems, and then develop tests to measure their performance in realized systems. In this position you will work closely with teams of engineers that develop, design, and evaluate, dynamic systems that make use of innovative navigation sensors and guidance systems for various military and aerospace applications.
The Space and Strategic Navigation group is seeking a highly motivated, highly skilled estimation engineer to support the design, development, and analysis of navigation algorithms for space and strategic systems. The group supports the full development arc of flight programs, including covariance analysis, high-fidelity sensor modeling, navigation filter prototypes, Monte Carlo analysis, flight software, integration/testing, flight test support, and post-flight analysis. The candidate should have demonstrated achievements in one or more of these areas and a willingness to build expertise in the others.
A key component of this group's mission is to maintain and drive forward Draper's core capability in space and strategic navigation, a capability that stretches back to MIT's Instrumentation Lab, which pioneered the field of missile guidance systems in the 1950s and 1960s. That mission underlies our commitment hire talented, committed engineer, invest in staff members' technical and leadership skills, and provide opportunities make key contributions to missions of great national interest.
This position is located in Cambridge, MA.
Draper’s APNT and Tracking group is seeking a highly-qualified engineer in navigation, estimation, and sensor fusion. Relevant experience with sensor systems including electro-optical or infrared cameras, star cameras, radar, GPS, or signals of opportunity navigation is desirable. Hands-on experience in project execution and in designing, developing, and validating real-time algorithms and software is preferred. The engineer in this position will also be expected to provide technical support for internal and external research and development proposals, while staying abreast of the state of the art in navigation, estimation, and sensor fusion.
The candidate will be working as a Program Analyst in the Strategic Systems Program Oﬃce, a dynamic, high volume department. The ideal candidate is a self‐starter who works well independently and in groups. They must display strong analytical and problem solving skills with a high level of accuracy and productivity in order to support the program oﬃce in pursuit and management of business and opportunities.
The Program Analyst will interface with proposal/program managers, functional departments, task leaders, contracts specialists, corporate ﬁnance, and appropriate external stakeholders and will be accountable for all ﬁnancial and administrative matters pertaining to assigned proposals and programs. Responsible for assisting Business Area leadership with strategy and the allocation of resources and overseeing a portfolio of programs which includes but is not limited to preparing cost proposals, ﬁnancial reports, budgets, schedules and performance variance analysis. Must have a good understanding of project management planning, monitoring and control concepts.
- Responsible for preparing ﬁnancial forecasting and reporting information requested by the Business Manager and Business Area Leadership, including but not limited to staﬃng and revenue projections, ﬁnancial analysis, program health and business development metrics, and other periodic reporting.
- As part of the proposal development team, responsible for preparing cost proposals in accordance with the solicitation, customer requirements and internal process. The Program Analyst is responsible for taking a leadership role in interpreting the ﬁnancial and administrative requirements of the solicitation, coordinating and communicating with relevant stakeholders and ensuring that the proposal meets all ﬁnancial and administrative compliance requirements. The ability to understanding WBS structures, cost elements, and basis of estimate principles as well as the ability to review a solicitation for compliance requirements is necessary.
- Using internal information systems, create and manage budget plans for programs, projects, and tasks and respond proactively to address potential problems/anomalies. Perform analysis and prepare reports on weekly and monthly basis to ensure that contracts are within negotiated and agreed‐upon parameters and cost control guidelines and as needed the fulﬁllment of Contract Data Requirement List(s).
- Ensure adequate funding availability by maintaining accurate records of expenditures, directing preparation of expenditure projections, and proactively submitting timely requests for additional funding and/or senior management risk authorization. This may also include communicating with customer and subcontractor ﬁnancial staﬀ as required to track and report ﬁnancial progress.
- Monitor contractual changes and be cognizant of any impact to cost and schedule baselines. Interfacing with Contracts Administration, Subcontracts, Procurements, Billing and other relevant departments to facilitate program management.
- Monitor the completion of project deliverables and ensure compliance with contractual and internal quality management system requirements.
- May have basic Earned Value responsibilities include working with the Program Manager and Technical Director in the development of the program Work Breakdown Structure (WBS), budget baseline, cost risk analysis/assessment and program health visibility reports, and preparation of performance measurement variance analysis, development of cost estimates, estimates to complete and basis‐of‐estimates.
- Ability to proactively establish priorities, execute responsibilities with minimal supervision, and meet deadlines in a high‐pressured environment.
All phases of general building cleaning as assigned by the supervisor. This includes trash disposal, dust mopping, floor washing, spot cleaning of surfaces, and restroom maintenance and assigned core areas, as well as working on floor stripping and waxing crews and using various multi-speed buffing machines.
Defense Systems Program Manager will work closely with the Space Systems Command and have a critical role in the development and growth in Space Force and Air Force Mission Systems business areas. The Program Manager is accountable for the testing and success of the Global Positioning System. The Program Manager will work closely with engineering subject matter experts from Draper and collaborating industrial firms, federally-funded research and development centers, non-profit R&D intitutions. The Program Manager will lead the detailed planning and execution of complex technical projects and deliver results to the company.
The candidate should have a general understanding of the industrial support base and strong interest in Department of Defense programs. The candidate should be able to show past performance in the creation of new products and/or services. The candidate should be able to create Executive level presentations and engage in strategic partnership development activities. The candidate should have experience and a degree in one of the following engineering disciplines: Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical, Optical, or Computer Science.
Position requires about 25 percent travel.
In this position you will work closely with multi-disciplinary teams designing, developing, and verifying power and analog electronics for use in a wide array of applications. These applications include miniature power conversion and management circuitry, radiation hardened designs, novel battery management circuitry, small motor controllers, switched-mode power conversion and precision feedback systems. As a senior member of the Harsh Environments Electronics Group you will help shape power system and analog hardware architectures and lead electronics development activities by applying sound engineering and project management principles.
Draper Laboratory is seeking talented and motivated individuals to tackle challenging engineering problems. As a Principal Digital ASIC Designer, you will be responsible for designing high-performance digital ASICs in advanced technologies—14nm FinFET, 22FDX, etc. You will work in multi-disciplinary teams with opportunities to learn, grow and contribute to a variety of projects in this area while leading and mentoring junior engineers.
The successful candidate will contribute to ASIC and FPGA development including architecture, analysis, design, and specification of ASICs and IP blocks. Candidate must have experience using high level design, simulation and verification tools and be familiar with process flows supporting design and verification for digital ASIC / FPGA efforts. Proficiency with ASIC and SoC design and development process flows is preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with an understanding of hardware security, signal or image processing, filter design and algorithm implementation in hardware.
- Requirements capture and derivation
- Architecture definition and performance analysis
- Integration of third-party IP
- Design implementation using SystemVerilog, Verilog or VHDL
- Familiarity with CDC, LEC and formal techniques
- Leading design and architecture teams
- Top-level chip integration
The Strategic Systems Engineering Test Equipment group at Draper is seeking a Systems Engineer to lead multidisciplinary teams to develop and provide full system lifecycle development and management of complex electrical, mechanical and software-based test equipment. Responsibilities include:
- Lead the development of test equipment through the product lifecycle
- Gain a strong understanding of the Unit Under Test system engineers to derive test equipment requirements, design and architecture
- Develop Model Based Systems Engineering approaches for open/flexible architectures to be used across programs and units under test
- Explore machine learning, artificial intelligence and digital engineering architecture solutions and ability to engage with subject matter experts across the organization
- Generate plans for the development, maintenance and upgrade of hardware and software for new and existing test equipment systems
- Participate in internal and external collaborative development environments
- Apply strong systems engineering principles to the test equipment develop process, or product development process which could include leading the Integration & Test processes and data package development and release
- Key job elements include the ability to engage with customers and translate requirements and functions to test equipment designs for; highly accurate strategic sensors, inertial navigation systems, fault tolerant computing, enhanced ground testing, integration and test environments, engineering qualification, surveillance, and factory acceptance test equipment architecture (e.g. rate tables, centrifuges)
In this role, you will provide essential support for Draper’s critical IT infrastructure, applications, and core services hosted on RedHat Linux systems. You will ensure continuous and optimized operation and provisioning of IT systems, focusing on product and technology areas like bare metal, cloud and virtualized hosts, base operating system, authentication and authorization, and enterprise-level systems management and monitoring. You will respond to and resolve incidents and alerts, fulfill service and change request tickets, and assist in process improvement, documentation, and automation. Due to the nature of this work, this job requires on-site presence in Cambridge, MA. Flexible hours and/or schedule will be determined between the employee and hiring manger.
- Collaborate daily with Enterprise Linux team members and other IT teams to troubleshoot and resolve incidents and service requests
- Follow company policies and processes while completing technical tasks and implementing technical solutions
- Maintain and improve the computer resources while ensuring server and application compliance with security and performance requirements (DFARS, RMF, NIST Cybersecurity Framework)
- Support fast-paced, critical classified programs execution with classified information system capabilities
- Participate in a support model around deployment, maintenance, monitoring, response, and capacity planning for business-critical systems and infrastructure
- Provide on-call coverage during working hours as part of a rotation, as well as periodic rostered after hours and weekend on-call support
- Identify, document, and assist in the automation of procedures and processes
- Advance IT service catalog through use of new technologies and streamlining existing services
The AD, Enterprise Cybersec Group will perform work for multiple Department of Defense (DoD) programs. This is a senior role in a multi-tasking environment that demands customer service, communication, and organizational skills. The Senior ISSM will work under the direction of the Director of Classified Program IT Operations. Directly manage a staff of 4-8 people: COMSEC Team, Automations Expert, Policy/Procedures Expert, CONMON manager and potentially more members over time. Performs overall management responsibilities including mentoring, training, and performance development. Collaborate with and in support of IT Engineering/Systems Administrations. Candidate must be a self-starter capable of multitasking and efficiently managing their time in a dynamic, deadline driven environment without appreciable direction. Additionally, candidate must possess excellent writing, speaking, analytical, project management, organizational, and customer service skills that will assist them in contributing to and deciphering organizational objectives and translating them into solutions for complex technical compliance and security strategies and challenges
· Serves as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on securing Federal information systems (IS)
· Develop, Mentor, Coach and advise ISSM’s, ISSO’s and other technical staff
· Create and chair the CPITO policy review board
o Partner with functional area leads to standardize and optimize policies and procedures across the CPITO organization and coordinate with Procurement, Security, HR, and other groups across Draper to ensure compliance with DOD regulations
o Review eMASS submissions for accuracy and consistency
o Develop and review weekly/monthly/yearly information assurance audits and ensure compliancy to NIST 800-53 Medium Low Low (MLL) baselines
· Develop and maintain a Common Control Package
· Work with functional area leads to ensure continuous monitoring (ConMon) and self-inspection programs related to cybersecurity are implemented and effective
· Manage COMSEC activities
· Create and maintain standards and SOPs, ensure standards are met.
· Responsible for creating educational material and conducting training for the Cybersecurity and Privileged User staff. Utilize in-house and external training content to the creation, maintenance, securing and auditing of Linux and Windows operating systems
· Conduct Self-assessments and action findings
· Manage IA staff in Draper’s remote locations that support multiple business lines
· Research and recommend integrated security solutions in collaboration with technical SMEs for multiple classified IS consisting of various technologies and operational environments
· Engage with various regulatory agencies through industry groups and other forums to ensure Draper's needs and views regarding cybersecurity are represented
· Interact with government agencies to obtain rulings, interpretations and acceptable deviations for compliance with regulations
· Devise, maintain, analyze and report metrics for analysis to evaluate effectiveness of the classified systems cybersecurity activities
· Other duties as assigned in support of a fast and accurate methodology for submitting timely and accurate ATO packages
· Develop efficiencies anywhere within CPITO/ITS
· Investigate security incidents to include data spills, data integrity incidents, and malicious code incidents. Conduct TTX’s and AAR’s
· Participate in various committees and working groups spanning Draper such as Insider Threat, Supply Chain, Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery, etc.
The Draper Simulation & Visualization Group is responsible for designing and developing dynamic simulations and infrastructure for rapid assessment, integration, and test of complex systems. Some of our projects focus on the development of software based simulations of cutting edge aerospace systems. Other projects focus on building and utilizing high-fidelity real time simulations of new avionics components, flight computers and Inertial Measurement Units.
We are seeking an entry level engineer with skills applicable to developing software models in MATLAB, Simulink and C++ and executing real time simulations in a Linux environment. The position will entail a range of activities from vehicle modeling, real time software development, automatic code generation, software application integration, data analysis, to test plan specification and integration. Development will take place in a fast paced team environment with an opportunity to work on a range of projects critical for our nation’s defense.
A position is established for an individual interested in pursuing a challenging career in applied research for perception and autonomy applied to a variety of systems, with an emphasis on task and motion planning, vision aided navigation, modeling and control of complex dynamic systems and optimization for a variety of autonomous vehicle systems. The candidate will work on cutting-edge efforts for US government and commercial customers. Areas of work include autonomous aerial vehicles, autonomous underwater vehicles, and other decision-making frameworks. The ideal candidate is an assertive self-starter, engaging colleagues and building ideas in a team-centered environment.
Serves as an Information System Security Officer for classified information systems under the direction of the Information System Security Manager.
- Performs weekly technical, and non-technical audits of assigned information systems as well as periodic monitoring and of compliance with established standards.
- Experience reviewing security configuration settings of information systems including VMware ESXi, Windows 10Windows Server 2016/2019, Linux, RHEL 7/8, Cisco, Palo Alto, Trellix ePO, Microsoft SQL, Veeam and other backup solutions
- Trains and assists users of information systems to ensure security procedures are followed.
- Assists with the development and maintenance of cyber security policy and procedures.
- Monitor service request ticketing system and grant approval for valid account requests in accordance with the principles of NTK and Least Privilege
- Assist ISSM in evaluating all requests for the addition, change or modification to system architecture, hardware, software, or firmware and coordinate with the appropriate authorization authority prior to allowing alteration of configuration controlled baselines
- Serve as member of Configuration Approval Board to oversee requests for system modification or changes to the established baseline
- Maintain accurate and complete system inventories for all components within the approved ATO boundary and ensure authorized changes to the system inventory are properly documented and tracked
- Utilize a variety of security software tools to conduct vulnerability assessments, continuous monitoring scans, and those employed to maintain OS configurations
This position is for a Senior Engineer with 10 years of engineering experience in analysis, simulation and modeling of GN&C systems for military and aerospace applications. This opening seeks an innovative thinker who can take technical ideas and concepts, turn them into simulations that form the requirements and design of high performing GN&C systems, and then develop tests to measure their performance in realized systems. In this position you will work closely with, and lead, teams of engineers that develop, design, and evaluate, dynamic systems that make use of innovative navigation sensors and guidance systems for various vehicles and applications.
The Physical Security Manager is responsible for managing the physical security operations at Draper, which includes classified and unclassified environments. The Physical Security Manager will manage, support, analysis and deployment of access control and CCTV systems. The Physical Manager will ensure team and the facility maintains compliance with Draper policy, local and state requirements as they relate to Physical Security operations and the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual(NISPOM) 32 CFR and ICD 705 physical security standards. The Physical Security Manager will exercise expertise and sound judgment in the course of carrying out overall responsibilities and activities to ensure excellence of the Draper Security Program.
- Be active in industry peer group meetings, bringing “best-in-class” solutions to Draper.
- Ensure compliance as it applies to Draper policy and National Industrial Security Program and ICD 705 Standards.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM) 32 CFR and ICD 705 Standards.
- Oversee day-to-day physical security operations of Open Storage Areas at the Cambridge location.
- Assist with creating annual budgets for hardware, software and service agreements.
- Manage Physical Security personnel to include three direct report Team Leads and Guard Force personnel.
- Manage services including, but not limited to, alarm monitoring, access control, CCTV, incident detection and mitigation.
- Assist with coordination and implementation of physical security site plans and operations to ensure protection of all employees, visitors, vendors, physical plant, assets, and infrastructure.
- Develop, manage, and maintain physical security related processes, procedures, training, and improvement plans
- Assist and support with design, development and implement solutions for security system installations, upgrades and repairs.
- Assist with Draper security investigations, collect and analyze information and interview individuals as needed.
- Conduct physical security reviews.
- Assist with policy review, development, writing and implementation.
- Develop and maintain Standard Operational Procedures (SOP’s) and training material for the physical security program.
- Routinely interface and partner with other functional areas (Facilities, ITS, HR, etc.)
- Review Physical Security documentation and reports generated by direct reports.
- Manage and maintain physical security related records to include training, statistics, activity reports, CCTV archives, etc.