Click column header to sort
As an engineer in the Mechanical Engineering Division, you will be exposed to a broad range of technical challenges where you can apply your knowledge as well as learn new skills while being involved with solving problems of national interest. As the focal point at Draper for hardware development and fabrication, the staff within the Mechanical Engineering & System Packaging Division is responsible for supporting technical solutions across the Lab, connecting us to defense, space, energy, and biomechanical areas. Members of the division propose, design, analyze and build a variety of electro-mechanical hardware, ranging from precision instruments and micro-scale sensors, to robots and components for large, high-reliability systems.
The ideal candidate must have an interest in designing and fabricating first-of-a-kind systems that are a combination of precision mechanical and electrical subsystems, and may also include fluidic, aerodynamic, or other complex features. The candidate may perform a range of tasks covering the entire design, analysis, prototyping, and testing cycle and must be capable of working on dynamic, complex problems and participate on cross-functional teams with engineers from other disciplines.
Technical responsibilities will vary depending on project needs, however example project topics include:
- Ruggedized miniature electro-mechanical systems
- Robotics and autonomous systems
- Bio-compatible mechanical systems
Tasks depend on program priorities, however desired skills include:
- Design of complex mechanical assemblies that may include structures, actuators, integrated electronics, etc. for use in potentially harsh environments and/or tight form factors
- Ability to lead small, tightly integrated team
- Designing in 3D CAD software
- Familiarity with considerations for manufacturability, proper drawing creation, and tolerancing
- Analysis for structural and thermal performance
- Fabrication and assembly of prototypes and proof-of-concept models
The Embedded System Engineer will be a technical leader in developing/implementing some of the nation's most technically and important challenges with emphasis on aerospace and undersea GN&C applications for commercial and DoD. Areas of expertise include real-time operating systems, middleware, and associated embedded processor technologies that support fault-tolerance, circumvention/recovery, and cybersecurity needs in developing secure and assured systems. This position will have responsibility in system lifecycle, from concept development, requirements analysis, software implementation, unit integration and test, platform integration and test, to software release. Experience with the following is essential: software development lifecycle, process, quality, and mission assurance; embedded Linux, RTOSs; processor architecture; embedded sytem design.
DRAPER is conducting a nationwide search for a hands-on engineer/scientist with technical expertise in the assembly and test of optical systems. The successful applicant can expect to work on interesting, complex tasks across technical domains featured on our website. Responsibilities will include: direct contribution to technical system development from concept to prototype, independent assembly and test of optical systems, and opportunity for technical leadership of engineering teams.
DRAPER is conducting a nationwide search for an innovative engineer/scientist with technical expertise in the conception, development, and test of a wide variety of advanced optical systems. The successful applicant can expect to work on interesting, complex tasks across technical domains featured on our website. Responsibilities will include: direct contribution to technical system development from concept to prototype, opportunity for technical leadership of engineering teams, coordinating with vendors, and contribution to business development activities such as proposal development.
DRAPER is conducting a nationwide search for an innovative engineer/scientist leader with strong technical expertise in the conception, development, and test of a variety of advanced optical systems. The successful applicant can expect to work on interesting, complex tasks across technical domains featured on our website. Responsibilities will include: direct contribution to technical system development from concept to prototype, technical leadership of engineering teams, coordinating with vendors, and contribution to business development activities such as proposal development.
DRAPER is conducting a nationwide search for a highly innovative engineer/scientist leader with significant technical expertise in the conception, development, and test of a wide variety of advanced optical systems. The successful applicant can expect to work on interesting, complex tasks across technical domains featured on our website. Responsibilities will range from technology portfolio management, to technical program leadership, to business development. This also includes tasks such as: proposal and technical team direction, system architecture and subsystem-level design, interface definition, contribution to engineering, and overall implementation and test.
The Bioengineering Division is seeking a Group Leader to lead our Biological Microsystems group. The Group Leader is the first-level of engineering management and requires the ability to apply sound engineering and management principles to a technical leadership role. Specific responsibilities include working with the Division Leader to: a) support the career development, growth, and project assignments of the group’s engineering staff; b) develop the group’s technical vision and capabilities; c) assist in the oversight of project execution within the group. In addition to the Group Leader responsibilities, the candidate will be a direct contributor to projects and business development activities. The successful candidate must be capable of achieving organizational and programmatic objectives and must possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Demonstrated skills in leadership, innovation, creativity and collaboration are a must.
The Simulation group is responsible for designing, developing, validating, and maintaining dynamic simulations and infrastructure for rapid assessment, integration, and test of complex systems. Simulation applications range from high-level behavioral simulations to visualize and evaluate system concepts to high-fidelity real-time simulations and Hardware-in-the-Loop infrastructure to support development, integration, test, and sustainment of systems and software.
The Simulation group is seeking a Simulation Engineer with skills applicable to developing hardware-in-the-loop systems. An understanding of software development, simulation, dynamics, control theory, and hardware interfaces is required. A working knowledge of MATLAB/Simulink or other simulation tools, C/C++ software development in Unix/Linux and Windows environments, Linux kernel development, and kernel drivers is also desired. Familiarity with interface specifications for SPI, I2C, MIL-STD-1553, RS-232, RS-422, and Ethernet is preferred. Understanding of synchronization protocols such as PTP is also desired.
- Prepare monthly financial reporting and coordinates month-end, quarter-end and year-end closing procedures. Includes performing and supervising others to perform:
- General Journal Entries
- General Ledger Account Reconciliations
- Balance Sheet and P&L Flux Analysis
- Monthly Interdepartmental Reporting
- Weekly Reconciliation of Rate Burdens
- Create and maintain critical policy and procedure documentation related to Accounting matters.
- Independently reports, and manages others to report, all necessary information related to personal property tax, business license tax, unrelated business taxes, etc.
- Collaborate with other departments and Draper’s Controller to support, review, and compile all items related to the annual 990 tax filing.
- Responsible for portions of annual financials and footnotes.
- Ensure adherence to pertinent regulatory requirements and to departmental/company policies, practices, and procedures.
- Perform research of technical accounting matters as they arise and advise others on findings.
- Provide General Ledger manager real time updates on key processes and tasks.
- Coordinate/collaborate with General Ledger team to prepare monthly general ledger reconciliation reports.
- Assist in obtaining and reviewing audit support for various audits (including Interim & Year-End financial audits).
- Supports management and staff with various accounting-related ad hoc activities.
- Assist in the research and implementation of new accounting standards
- Lead one Staff Accountant and one A/R Coordinator
This is a high visibility position within the Draper Laboratory Security Department. The Security Specialist position interacts with all levels of technical staff, program management and the executive staff. This position provides program security support in the form of classification guidance, interpreting and applying government sponsor’s policies and procedures and ensuring that a compliant security program is established and maintained. If needed they will establish and assist in administering special security provisions at subcontractor locations. Will demonstrate sound decision making by utilizing a collective knowledge of government policies and procedures and have thorough understanding of OPSEC in their own work. Performs with limited supervision in both a team environment as well as an independent contributor.
- Disseminates and applies DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) security requirements. Recommends changes to company procedures as needed
- Establishes and maintains liaison with external customers and program management
- Mentors and trains other security personnel when required
- Manages and plans the construction and/or modification of special program work areas to meet the government’s physical security specifications
- Ensures accuracy of receipt and dispatch, document control, personnel and combination records
- Submits Personnel Access Requests (PARs) and nominations for employees to special programs
- Maintains document control for special program areas
- Maintains COMSEC accountability for SCI special programs to include encryption devices, secure telephones (STE), and classified communication networks
- Investigates and files necessary reports of security infractions and violations and prepares written investigative reports.
- Maintains required security databases
- Responsible for maintaining compliance by coordinating with company contractors to ensure the maintenance, repair, and integrity of access control and alarm systems
- Coordinates and conducts security education briefings
- Supports Business Development by providing security requirements and the estimation of security support for proposal.
- Responsible for keeping laboratory Directors appraised of security changes in government security requirements and procedures
- Participates as an active member of special security working groups in the SAP and SCI community
- Initiates security plans to meet contractual requirements
- Submits periodic reviews for continued access, scheduling polygraphs and program briefings
- Responds to after-hours alarms and emergency conditions
- Performs courier duties in the local area and in the U.S as needed
- Assists in other security areas as needed for inspections, events, and special activities
- Will develop a working knowledge of DoD and Intelligence Community (IC) security requirements.
- Handles Shipping / Receiving / Tracking of high value material
- Responds to afterhours alarms
- Provides Escort duties when needed
- Processes incoming and outgoing visit requests
- Responds promptly, courteously and professionally to Laboratory personnel and subcontractor requests and/or inquiries
- Will assist Security Staff In developing and updating all processes for Security-related tasks
- Performs administrative tasks as required by the assigned Security Staff and Security Management
- Ability to conduct error-free updates of sensitive or proprietary information into various PC based databases, such as SIMS and JPAS
- Trusted use of classified government sponsored networks for secure email, database queries \and file transfer
- Assists with the preparation of files, reports and presentations (records, documents, and personnel forms) requiring intermediate proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office
- Assists Security Staff with monitoring the construction and/or modification of special program work areas to meet the government’s physical security specifications.
- Ensures accuracy of receipt and dispatch, document control, personnel and combination records.
- May assist the Security Staff with developing and tracking PERSEC actions, Personnel Access Requests (PARs), nominations for employees to special programs, and Foreign Travel and Contact Reports.
- May assist Security Staff with Administrative Inquiries (AI) of security infractions and violations.
- Will assist Security Staff with maintaining compliance by coordinating with company contractors to ensure the maintenance, repair, and integrity of access control and alarm systems.
- Assist Security Staff with coordinating security education briefings.
- Assist Security Staff with developing security plans to meet contractual requirements.
- Performs courier duties in the local area and in the U.S as needed
- Assists in other security areas as needed for inspections, events, and special activities.
- Will attend DSS and other sponsor directed off-site and online industrial security professionalization training.
- Successfully complete required training in accordance with various government provided regulations, manuals and directives.
Position seeks engineer with 7-10+ years’ experience to work in a multidisciplinary team environment performing integration, test and evaluation of GN&C systems. Responsibilities include:
- Performance and requirements validation (tests, analyses, demonstrations) will be planned and executed to established schedules and budgets. The ability to work and succeed within a process-oriented setting is critical, as is the ability to thoroughly document and communicate one’s work to a technical audience.
- The candidate will work with and may lead other team members in the integration and performance assessment of modules, prepare Test Readiness Reviews (TRRs) and supporting data analysis, along with conducting Test Data Reviews (TDRs).
- The candidate may be required to evaluate components and subsystems comprised of hardware and software elements to ensure their readiness for system-level integration and test.
- Key job elements include problem identification and resolution, planning and execution of tests using dynamic test equipment including vibration tables, centrifuges, rate tables, vacuum and thermal chambers, and communicating regular status reports to management.
- Performance validation (tests, analyses, demonstrations) will be planned and executed to established schedules and budgets.
- The ability to work and succeed within a process-oriented setting is critical, as is the ability to thoroughly document and communicate one’s work to a technical audience.
- Design and fabricate systems that are a combination of precision mechanical and electrical subsystems, and may also include fluidic, aerodynamic, or other complex features
- Design, analysis, and fabrication of mechanical assemblies that may include structures, actuators, integrated electronics, etc. for use in potentially harsh environments and/or tight form factors
- Perform a range of tasks covering the entire design, analysis, prototyping, and testing cycle and must be capable of working on dynamic, complex problems
- Familiarity with considerations for manufacturability, proper drawing creation, and tolerancing
- Ability to work in small, tightly integrated cross functional teams of engineers from other disciplines
Draper is seeking a highly motivated engineer in navigation, estimation, and sensor fusion. Relevant project experience with sensor systems including electro-optical or infrared cameras, star cameras, radar, GPS, or signals of opportunity navigation is desirable. Hands-on experience in project execution and in designing, developing, and validating real-time algorithms and software is preferred. The engineer in this position will also be expected to provide technical support for multiple projects in navigation, estimation, and sensor fusion.
As a principal member of the technical staff, the candidate will play a critical role in the development of next generation position, navigation and timing (PN&T) hardware supporting critical applications of national interest. This engineer will work closely with a team of engineers and physicists to develop, prototype, and test best in class and cutting edge inertial and timing components, algorithms, sub-assemblies and test beds. Draper has established a world class capability regarding PN&T technologies and the new candidate is expected to support the drive to utilize these technologies in novel ways to meet customer needs. The candidate will be expected to support customer meetings, both initial business development interactions as well as program reviews for awarded programs. The candidate must be able to work with multidisciplinary teams, and must possess good communication skills.
Draper Laboratory is seeking talented and motivated individuals to develop cutting-edge future computing systems architectures, which will be used in autonomously navigated vehicles implementing AI and machine vision algorithms. The ideal candidate will have experience in digital front-end design and will be able to translate systems requirements into an SoC topology using System C or C++, develop power and test models, and drive the design to verified RTL.
Applicants should have experience with design flows from Cadence or Synopsys, and have a working knowledge of physical, as well as logical, design.
- Requirements capture
- System architecture development
- IP block configuration
- Functional verification
- Handoff to physical design
The ideal candidate must have an interest in designing and fabricating first-of-a-kind systems that are a combination of precision mechanical and electrical subsystems. The candidate will perform a range of engineering tasks such as 3D mechanical design, analysis for structural and thermal performance, prototyping, and testing. Candidate shall be familiar with design for manufacturability, proper drawing creation, and geometric tolerancing and dimensioning. Candidate must be capable of working on dynamic, complex problems and participate on small cross-functional teams with engineers from other disciplines.
The successful applicant will join our imaging technology team and can expect to work on exciting instrument development tasks for one-of-a-kind applications. Responsibilities will include hands-on technical tasks, as well as task management. Activities will range from concept definition to the design, implementation, characterization, and analysis of novel imaging systems and system interfaces. Critical technical tasking will include instrument/system-level design and development.
The Strategic Systems Engineering Test Equipment group at Draper is seeking a Systems Engineer with broad technical skills to work within multidisciplinary teams to develop and provide lifecycle management of complex electrical, mechanical and software-based test equipment.
A successful candidate will be:
- Highly motivated to support the delivery of technology solutions that are of strategic importance to the nation
- Dedicated to developing the in-depth mission and technology domain expertise that enable realization of such solutions for complex systems
- Capable of working & coordinating responsibilities inside a multidisciplinary team
Tasking may include: identification of customer needs, development of use cases, requirements analysis and flow-down, system concept/architecture development (including analysis of alternatives), test design, interface definition/control, verification/test planning, development of systems engineering documentation, model development, vehicle and mission-level simulation development, performance assessment, documentation of analysis results, and presentation of results to both internal and external stake-holders.
The individual should be a highly motivated self-starter with willingness to learn and participate in an exciting team environment. The opportunity to work as part of team developing state-of-the-art test equipment will enable significant growth opportunities for a motivated individual.
Draper is seeking a senior-level technical professional to lead a directorate of approximately 350 engineers responsible for producing innovative, high-quality algorithms and software solutions including mission-critical software and algorithms for guidance, navigation and control, cyber security, autonomy, human systems, machine learning, and large-scale data analytics. The Algorithms and Software Director reports to the Vice-President of Engineering.
- Contributing to Draper’s strategic plan, and developing and implementing the strategy for the Directorate
- Attracting and retaining an outstanding and diverse workforce, including hiring, training, career planning, and development for a technical diverse organization, as well as performance evaluation and compensation
- Maintain and advance Draper’s capability for producing innovative, high-quality algorithm and software solutions
- Competitively position Draper for future work and preserve its technical superiority